Thursday, February 14, 2013

sick of our sickness

To realize that our knowledge is ignorance,
This is a noble insight.
To regard our ignorance as knowledge,
This is mental sickness.

Only when we are sick of our sickness
Shall we cease to be sick.
The Sage is not sick, being sick of sickness;
This is the secret of health.
-- John C.H. Wu, Chapter 71, Tao Te Ching

Jesus and I were walking down the street.

"Where is Lao Tzu?" I asked.

We heard this strangely repetitious sound approaching.

We looked.

Lao Tzu was jumping up and down, up and down, on a pogo stick.

He jumped round and round us.

"I have a question for you," he said as he bounced.

"What?" I asked.

"How many times must one jump on a pogo stick?"

My mind stopped.

Jesus burst out with laughter.

"How many times must one swear allegiance to the same set of thoughts?" said Jesus.

"Exactly!" said Lao Tzu and handed me the pogo stick.

"Don't give me that thing," I said, hiding behind Jesus.

Lao Tzu threw the stick high into the air where it disappeared.

"I feel better already." he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment