Sunday, February 17, 2013

vast is heaven's net

He who is brave in daring will be killed;
He who is brave in not daring will survive.
Of these two kinds of bravery, one is beneficial,
while the other proves harmful. 
Some things are detested by Heaven,
But who knows the reason?
Even the Sage is baffled by such a question.

It is Heaven's Way to conquer without striving,
To get responses without speaking,
To induce the people to come without summoning,
To act according to plans without haste.

Vast is Heaven's net;
Sparse-meshed it is, and yet
Nothing can slip through it.
-- John C. H. Wu, Chapter 73, Tao Te Ching

We sat in the park.

A woman ran by trying to catch her dog.

The dog was fleeing for its life.

"If you want something to come near you, do not chase it," said Lao Tzu.

"Instead, create a vacuum," I said.

The woman stopped, began walking back our way.

The dog stopped, began meandering around, nose to ground.

"Good morning," said Jesus to the woman.

"Good morning," she said. "Can't catch my dog."

Jesus laughed.

"I've had the same trouble with sheep," he said.

"Are you a shepherd?" she asked.

"Some say," he said.

"Judging by the company he keeps, I'd say he is more of a goat herder," said Lao Tzu.

We all laughed.

The dog walked up to Lao Tzu and licked his hand.

"Well, I'll be darned," said the woman.

"Vast is Heaven's net and nothing can slip through it," said Lao Tzu.

"I like that," said the woman. "Who said that?"

"I did," he said.

The vacuum spell was broken and she went on her way.

The dog followed at her heels.

1 comment:

  1. I have witnessed this vacuum taking place and it is beautiful. I love the interplay between us and the Source that allows the net to unfold. Somedays I think about it rather than letting it happen, and then it fails. By dying to the moment, however, and being, rather than thinking about being, my successful dance with what Is improves. Maestro? A little Sunday morning music please!

    ReplyDelete