Saturday, December 1, 2012

doing the funk

The heavy is the root of the light.
The unmoved is the source of all movement.

Thus the Master travels all day
without leaving home.
However splendid the views,
she stays serenely in herself.

Why should the lord of the country
flit about like a fool?
If you let yourself be blown to and fro,
you lose touch with your root.
If you let restlessness move you,
you lose touch with who you are.
-- Stephen Mitchell, Chapter 26, Tao Te Ching

I was giving Jesus and Lao Tzu a ride in my older model Funk.

Jesus was riding shotgun.

Lao Tzu, saying the best leader always followed behind, was in the back seat

My Funk was plunging us down this mountain road at ever increasing speed.

"What is at the core of you?" asked Jesus.

"A very heavy heart," I said.

"That's why we are in this Funk," said Lao Tzu.

Lao Tzu put a hand on my shoulder.

"Take some breaths and just be," he said.

I began to move out of my heart and into my breath.

The Funk began slowing.

Jesus told me a Jesus joke.

I groaned and began laughing.

"Jesus, that's awful!" I said.

The Funk became transparent, then disappeared.

"The next time you take us for a ride, maybe you'll give us a spin in your Tizzy," said Lao Tzu.

Jesus and I looked at each other. This time we both groaned.

Jesus gave Lao Tzu a soft punch on the shoulder.

We walked together, side by side, back up the mountain.

3 comments:

  1. very human. thx, geo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must be the time of the season. I've been driving my old Funk around lately too. Thanks, L, J and G for the nudge back to being present. Following my breath quiets the internal dialogue, the funk fades like morning fog exposed to direct sunlight. Something else happens, even more amazing but beyond my ability to convey in words. So I'll just toss out a blissful "ahhhhh...."

    Walking back up the mountain now also. Remembering separation is an illusion, and feeling the three of you -- and the others who pass through this blog -- close by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoy starting the day hearing about the adventures you three have. Today's adventure made me laugh out loud. I love that Jesus told a "Jesus" joke and Lao Tzu wants to go for a spin in your Tizzy next time. Hilarious and, at the same time, very deep. ~ Carla

    ReplyDelete