Wednesday, December 19, 2012

the weak and the strong

The gentlest thing in the world
overcomes the hardest thing in the world.
That which has no substance
enters where there is no space.
This shows the value of non-action.

Teaching without words,
performing without actions:
that is the Master's way.
-- Stephen Mitchell, Chapter 43, Tao Te Ching

Lao Tzu showed me a cup of water.
 
"Which is the strongest?" he asked.

"The cup," I said. "It is hard and holds the water."

He produced a hammer.

"Which will break if I hit it?"

"The cup," I said.

"Hard is overcome by hard without end," he said.

"The soft continues moving on its way."

"The fox created a man of tar to catch a rabbit," I said.

"The rabbit came along and said hello."

"The tar man said nothing."

"The rabbit kept talking and stuck himself to the tar man with his words."

"He should have just kept on hopping down the bunny trail," said Lao Tzu.

"2000 years ago my body was whacked," said Jesus.

"My spirit is as strong as it ever was."

"The body is dense spirit."

"The appearance dies, the essence continues."

We sat quietly.

No comments:

Post a Comment