Wednesday, December 5, 2012

rebound

Whoever relies on the Tao in governing men
doesn't try to force issues
or defeat enemies by force of arms.
For every force there is a counterforce.
Violence, even well intentioned,
always rebounds upon oneself.
The Master does his job
and then stops.
He understands that the universe
is forever out of control,
and that trying to dominate events
goes against the current of the Tao.
Because he believes in himself,
he doesn't try to convince others.
Because he is content with himself,
he doesn't need others approval.
Because he accepts himself,
the whole world accepts him.
-- Stephen Mitchell, Chapter 30, Tao Te Ching

We walked along the banks of a river.

A hefty stick the size and arced shape of a samurai sword lay on the ground.

I picked it up.

Jesus looked at me with compassion.

Lao Tzu had a glint in his eye.

Looking to test its strength, I swung it with all my might at a horizontal tree limb in front of me.

It rebounded with equal force and struck me in my forehead.

I staggered around.

Lao Tzu was whooping with laughter.

"All chi... all chi...all chi..." He said, gasping for breath.

"All chickens come home to roost!" He finally exclaimed.

I put the stick back where I found it.

We walked on, bursting into laughter as we went.

3 comments:

  1. This S. Mitchell translation rang a bell and echoed often years ago when I first encountered it, perhaps more than any other chapter as I always have been a bit weakened by current events and their ability to steer the world in a different direction than my vision for a peaceful existence .
    It is so easy in this world to get caught up in what is truly forever out of control, and again this Chapter rings true setting it out so simply and beautifully.
    Now, to apply these lessons and to act like a master and not get caught up in it all, even for a moment.. It's those moments that throw things off balance for me and beating them with a stick obviously isn't the approach!!! A Good reminder for me George, thanks, Harlan B

    ReplyDelete
  2. the timing of this is beautiful!
    nice thump on the head.
    thx, geo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could really visualize the thump on that bearded head and the laughter after! Thanks, LG

    ReplyDelete