Sunday, December 16, 2012

knock knock

Return is the movement of the Tao.
Yielding is the way of the Tao.

All things are born of being.
Being is born of non-being.
-- Stephen Mitchell, Chapter 40, Tao Te Ching

"Knock, knock!" said Lao Tzu.

"The door is open," said Jesus.

"The door is not-hinged," said Lao Tzu.

"Yes, it is no-thing-ed," said Jesus.

"It is the gateless gate," said Lao Tzu.

"Nothing stands in your way," said Jesus.

"A serious obstacle," said Lao Tzu.

I stood there.

The door was opening and closing, yielding and returning.

"You are the door," said Jesus.

"Become unhinged," said Lao Tzu.

"Become no thing," said Jesus.

The door and my framing of it all fell away.

"Knock, knock," I said.

"Here we go again," said Lao Tzu.

"Your knocking creates the door," said Jesus.

"Who's there?" I asked.

They laughed and spun me round and round until I did not know whether I was coming or going.

"How do you step into a revolving door?" asked Lao Tzu.

"The same way you step out," said Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. I pictured you whirling about in an open field, laughing. Good imagery. <3

    ReplyDelete