Sunday, January 6, 2013

light bulb

For governing a country well
there is nothing better than moderation.
The mark of a moderate person
is freedom from her own ideas.
Tolerant like the sky,
all-pervading like the sunlight,
firm like a mountain,
supple like a tree in the wind,
she has no destination in view
and makes use of anything
life happens to bring her way.
Nothing is impossible for her.
Because she has let go,
she can care for the people's welfare
as a mother cares for her child.
-- Stephen Mitchell (abridged), Chapter 59, Tao Te Ching

"Look at him," said Lao Tzu.

"He's a little aggravated," said Jesus.

"My body won't work right," I said.

Lao Tzu looked at Jesus.

"I guess he hasn't let go," Lao Tzu said.

Jesus looked at me.

"Which is more important, the light bulb or the light?" he asked.

"They are both important, Jesus," I said irritably.

Lao Tzu said, "Yep. He's in a dither."

"Foaming at the mouth," said Jesus.

"Will you stop talking about me like I'm not here?" I sputtered.

 "Light bulb or light?" asked Jesus.

"Light!" I said.

"Keep identifying with the light bulb and you are headed for the land fill," said Lao Tzu.

"What can we do to help you lighten up?" asked Jesus.

"Let's go wander around some," I said.

I started out the door.

"Bring your camera!" called Lao Tzu.

3 comments:

  1. This one made me laugh out loud - even my husband heard it in the living room and told the toddler "mommy's laughing"...and it made me smile too - you've increased the light over here, Mr. George.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL at the words of Jesus, "foaming at the mouth". I love your solution - to go outside and wander about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many philosophical vagabonds does it take to change a lightbulb? I am.

    ReplyDelete