Tuesday, January 1, 2013

the direction of erection

He who is in harmony with the Tao
is like a newborn child.
Its bones are soft, its muscles are weak,
but its grip is powerful.
It doesn’t know about the union
of male and female,
yet its penis can stand erect,
so intense is its vital power.
It can scream its head off all day,
yet it never becomes hoarse,
so complete is its harmony

The Master's power is like this.
He lets all things come and go
effortlessly, without desire.
He never expects results;
thus he is never disappointed.
He is never disappointed;
thus his spirit never grows old.
-- Stephen Mitchell, chapter 55, Tao Te Ching

We sat gazing into the inner basin of the dormant volcano,
our backs to the vastness of the plains below.

Lao Tzu had something on his mind.

"What?" I asked.

"You know how people get into trouble?" he asked.

"How?"

"They inflate themselves into an erection," he said.

The imagery made me laugh.

"Regardless of gender," said Jesus.

 "Once inflated they wander through life looking for satisfaction," said Lao Tzu.

"And they don't get no," I said.

They looked at me.

"It's like putting a head on top of your head," said Lao Tzu.

"That bubble always bursts," said Jesus.

"Well, I guess we've got that figured out," said Lao Tzu.

"Your head is starting to show," said Jesus.

Lao Tzu laughed.

We got up and began our descent.

2 comments:

  1. Of all the S Mitchell chapter translations, this is one that I have held close to heart for ever it seems..Not expecting results has been a personal challenge, and it doesn't always work out that way for me..therefore disappointments still manifest... I find myself reminding myself and returning to this chapter more often than others...
    I can just imagine those sideways glances when you said "Can't get no" !
    Quoting King Casper from Amahl and the Night Visitors: "Wonderful Wonderful Wonderful" !! Thanks George, HB

    ReplyDelete
  2. "And I don't get no"..... satisfaction. I can't get no girl reaction, though I try, and I try, and I try, and I try. I can't get no.... satisfaction. This Stones tune keeps rolling around in my head ever since I read this wonderful conversation between you, Lao Tzu and Jesus. I look forward to these every day.

    ReplyDelete