Sunday, January 27, 2013

the people

All streams flow to the sea
because it is lower than they are.
Humility gives it its power.

If you want to govern the people,
you must place yourself below them.
If you want to lead the people,
you must learn how to follow them.

The Master is above the people,
and no one feels oppressed.
She goes ahead of the people,
and no one feels manipulated.
The whole world is grateful to her.
Because she competes with no one,
no one can compete with her.
-- Stephen Mitchell, Chapter 66, Tao Te Ching

"Below, behind, above, and ahead," said Lao Tzu.

"She has the people surrounded," I said.

"The people do not know whether she is coming or going," said Jesus.

"Neither does she," said Lao Tzu.

"Who do you think the people are?" asked Jesus. looking at me.

"I have a feeling you want to tell me," I said.

Lao Tzu thumped my ear.

"Don't get wise with Jesus," he said.

Jesus laughed and touched my ear.

It still hurt.

"That's because you are pouting," said Jesus.

The pain went away.

"The people are all the voices and images inside you," said Jesus.

"The Master allows them to rise and fall without engaging them," said Lao Tzu.

"They are happy because they think they are independent," said Jesus.

"And anything thinking it is independent has a short and isolated life span," I said.

"You got it," said Lao Tzu.

"The Master is detached, does not play the people's game," said Jesus.

"I can't hear a thing you are saying," I said.

Lao Tzu thumped my other ear.

I began pouting, then remembered.

1 comment:

  1. I love the ear thumping and pouting. I've been working on not clinging today. I'm amazed how good I am at falling back into a pout. Thanks for the great reminder!

    ReplyDelete