Wednesday, January 9, 2013

the trinity of self

When a country obtains great power,
it becomes like the sea:
all streams run downward into it.
The more powerful it grows,
the greater the need for humility.
Humility means trusting the Tao,
thus never needing to be defensive.

A great nation is like a great man:
When he makes a mistake, he realizes it.
Having realized it, he admits it.
Having admitted it, he corrects it.
He considers those who point out his faults
as his most benevolent teachers.
He thinks of his enemy
as the shadow he himself casts.

If a nation is centered in the Tao,
if it nourishes its own people
and doesn't meddle in the affairs of others,
it will be a light to all nations in the world.
-- Stephen Mitchell, Chapter 61, Tao Te Ching

We came out of the movie "Lincoln."

The air was crisp and fresh.

"A nation is like a self," said Lao Tzu.

"What is a self?" I asked.

"A mind made up," said Lao Tzu.

"It tightens itself into a knot," said Jesus.

"I have trouble with my mind," I said.

"Who is the I that has the trouble?" asked Lao Tzu.

I thought a bit.

"My mind has trouble with the I," I said.

Lao Tzu looked at Jesus.

"He doesn't know who I is," he said.

Jesus looked at me.

"Let not your mind be troubled and you will know who I is," he said.

"When you know who I is, I will disappear," said Lao Tzu.

"No I, no self," said Jesus.

"That makes me scared," I said.

Lao Tzu laughed.

"Now he has a me," he said.

"Add a mine and you have the trinity of self," Jesus said to me.

"You meet your self coming and going," said Lao Tzu.

"A hall of mirrors," said Jesus.

Lao Tzu slapped me on my back.

"Wake up!" he said.

We were coming out of the movie "Lincoln."

The air was cool and fresh.

1 comment:

  1. I, me, and mine. Meeting myself coming and going. Yes - this pretty much sums up my experience of late. Wonderful conversation, yet again.

    ReplyDelete