Tuesday, November 6, 2012

a star shot through the heavens

Therefore, when the sage rules:
He empties the minds of his people,
Fills their bellies,
Weakens their wills,
And strengthens their bones.
Always he keeps his people in no-knowledge and no-desire,
Such that he who knows dares not act.
Act by no-action (wu-wei),
Then, nothing is not in order.
-- Ellen Chen, Verses 2 and 3, Chapter 3, the Tao Te Ching

We were lying on our backs in a grassy alpine meadow gazing at the planets and the stars. I was gratefully aware that I was embraced by the earth and not allowed to go flying into space.

"Surrender. That's both what I had to do and chose to do," said Jesus.

 "You followed the will of your Father," said Lao Tzu.

"Yes," said Jesus. "What you call moving with the Tao."

They know each other's language quite well, I thought. They are of the same spirit, the same life force. They just express themselves in different terminology.

"I admire you deeply," said Lao Tzu. "Surrender is not an easy thing to do."

Jesus chuckled. "Part of me didn't want to. I sweat blood over it. I asked, if possible, that I not have to surrender in the way the Father was willing, in the way the Tao was unfolding."

They were silent for a while. A star shot through the heavens.

I said. "We're glad you did, Jesus. You followed through. All the way. You showed us the way to go."

"The wu-wei," said Lao Tzu. "The wu way. The way of being nothing in yourself so that the Source may come sourcing."

"Not my will, but thine be done," spoke Jesus from his heart.

We each continued in our surrendering.

1 comment:

  1. i heard some place it takes strenght to fight,
    and courage to surrender. . .

    also, the 1st paragraph is serendipitous on an election evening. curious timing. parallel.

    ReplyDelete