Tuesday, November 13, 2012

velcro mind

Fill your bowl to the brim
and it will spill.
Keep sharpening your knife
and it will blunt.
Chase after money and security
and your heart will never unclench.
Care about people's approval
and you will be their prisoner.

Do your work, then step back.
The only path to serenity.
-- Stephen Mitchell, Chapter 9, Tao Te Ching

Jesus and Lao Tzu came into the room.

"Here is Mister Velcro Mind," said Lao Tzu.

"He is one lost sheep," said Jesus.

"Please. I'm trying to get this done." I said.

"Now he's stuck in annoyance," said Lao Tzu.

"He's feeling righteous," said Jesus.

I sighed and shook my head.

"He's coming unglued," said Lao Tzu.

"Good," said Jesus.

I laughed. "I don't know what to write about this."

"Too attached," said Jesus.

"Full of it," said Lao Tzu.

"Let's go for a walk," said Jesus.

"Just a moment," I said, and wrote down our conversation.

I stepped back, took a look, and hit "Publish."

"Where are we going?" I asked, following them out the door.

"Serenity," said Lao Tzu.

1 comment: