Sunday, November 4, 2012

real eye zing

Therefore the sage manages affairs without action,
Carries out teaching without speech.
Ten thousand things arise and he does not imitate them,
They come to be and he claims no possession of them,
He works without holding on,
Accomplishes without claiming merit.
Because he does not claim merit,
His merit does not go away.
-- Ellen Chen, Chapter Two, Tao Te Ching

We walked from downtown to a little pond. The three of us sat on a bench. I was wedged comfortably between Jesus and Lao Tzu. We watched an osprey circling looking for a fish.

Jesus said: "Imagine a light above the crown of your head coming down through the midsection of your body and extending out your sacrum and your tailbone."

As he said the words, I could see and feel this line of light moving through me.

 He said: "This is the middle place. It is neither right nor left and yet is both right and left. All opposites are transcended here while fully realized."

Lao Tzu said: "Yes! This is the place of your Real Eye Zing!"

Jesus laughed.

I said: "I get it. When I operate from here, when I am this, I cling to nothing while fully immersed in everything. I am fully engaged while not attached."

Lao Tzu said to Jesus: "I think we may have to give him a Tao name."

"What might that be?" asked Jesus.

"Nothing Doing," said Lao Tzu.

The osprey splashed into the water and came up with a fish.

1 comment:

  1. i'm liking these, george! the layers of realizing... sandwiched inbetween two teachers, talking of two sides, but existing in the middle. centering. beautiful, you are! love to all our centers! ~apl

    ReplyDelete