Thursday, November 1, 2012

my eyes were spinning

And both are called mysteries.
The Mystery of mysteries is the Door of all existence.
-- John C. H. Wu, Tao Te Ching, Chapter 1

the one we call dark
the dark beyond dark
the door to all beginnings
-- Red Pine, Tao Te Ching, Chapter 1

I asked Jesus and Lao Tzu to explain this to me.

Lao Tzu sighed. "Go ahead, Jesus, I am tired of talking. The talk that can be talked is not the Talk."

Jesus smiled. "George, can you see your eyes?"

"Only by looking in a mirror. But that is not really seeing my eyes. No, I cannot see my eyes."

"What is seeing through your eyes you cannot see?"

I said, "Some of our scientists say it is a piece of meat we call the brain."

"And what is producing this piece of meat?"

"I do not know. I can put names on it: Chance, God, Allah, the Godhead, Tao."

"We have already been through that. Those names are not It." Lao Tzu could not help jumping in. "The name that can be named is not the eternal name."

"Exactly!" said Jesus. "Think of yourself as looking out to infinity and eventually you see the back of your own head and enter and look out to infinity. Who is looking through your eyes?"

"Infinity?"

"Yes. And what is infinity?"

"I do not know."

"This is the Mystery." said Jesus. "This is the dark beyond dark. This is the Door to all beginnings."

Lao Tzu laughed. "Look at the poor boy, Jesus! His eyes are spinning. I think he has gone out of his mind."

"Good!" said Jesus.

2 comments: