Thursday, November 15, 2012

running on empty

Thirty spokes converge on a hub
but it's the emptiness
that makes a wheel work
pots are fashioned from clay
but it's the hollow
that makes a pot work
windows and doors are carved for a house
but it's the spaces
that make a house work
existence makes something useful
but nonexistence makes it work
-- Red Pine, Chapter 11, Tao Te Ching

We sat drinking coffee at a sidewalk table.

"Wu is the Chinese word for emptiness," said Lao Tzu.

"Out of emptiness all things arise," he continued.

"Some of the angels call my Father the Grand Empt for that very reason," said Jesus.

"Chi is the word for the life force that fills all things, all forms," said Lao Tzu.

"Like the Holy Spirit," I said.

Jesus grinned and looked at me.

"Good Christian boy," he said.

"Ku is the Japanese word for emptiness," I said to Lao Tzu.

"Empty, filled, empty, filled. Wu Chi, Ku Chi. Wu Chi, Ku Chi!" exclaimed Lao Tzu as he jumped up and began to dance around.

"Get up, guys!" he said. "Let's dance the Wu Chi Ku!"

We danced down the sidewalk to the amusement of all around.

2 comments:

  1. Dancing feeds the soul somehow, I believe. Even when one is unable to physically dance, you can dance with the mind. Wu Chi Ki - good christian boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the Wu Chi Ku could be the trance end dance. I'm on my feet!

    ReplyDelete