Thursday, November 29, 2012

standing on tiptoe

He who stands on tiptoe
doesn't stand firm.
He who rushes ahead
doesn't go far.
He who tries to shine
dims his own light.
He who defines himself
can't know who he really is.
He who has power over others
can't empower himself.
He who clings to his work
will create nothing that endures.
If you want to accord with the Tao,
just do your job, then let go.
-- Stephen Mitchell, Chapter 24, Tao Te Ching

Jesus and Lao Tzu came to tuck me in.

"Tell me a bedtime story," I said.

They looked at each other.

"Once upon a time," said Lao Tzu.

"There was a musical note," said Jesus.

"It was b," said Lao Tzu.

"Sometimes b tried to b sharp," said Jesus.

"In trying to b sharp, it b came flat," said Lao Tzu.

They looked at me.

"I guess I should just b," I said.

Lao Tzu slugged me with a pillow. "Wise guy," he said.

They left the room.

"Hey! Hey!" I said. "Turn out the light!"

2 comments:

  1. How playful these two guys are! Love it. ~ Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, George!

    Ellyn

    ReplyDelete