Tuesday, November 20, 2012

returning to my destiny

I attain the utmost emptiness;
I keep to extreme stillness.
The myriad creatures all rise together
And I watch thereby their return.
The teeming creatures
All return to their separate roots.
Returning to one's roots is known as stillness.
Stillness is what is called returning to one's destiny.
Returning to one's destiny is normal.
Knowledge of the normal is discernment.
Not to know the normal is to be without basis.
To innovate without basis bodes ill.
To know the normal is to be tolerant.
Tolerance leads to impartiality,
Impartiality to kingliness,
Kingliness to heaven,
Heaven to the way,
The way to perpetuity,
And to the end of one's days one will meet with no danger.
-- D.C. Lau, Chapter 16, Tao Te Ching

I sat alone, Jesus and Lao Tzu nowhere in sight.

No bounds. No limits. Vast openness.

Here they came.

"Time to make yourself up," said Lao Tzu.

"Got to get an agenda," said Jesus.

"Shape up or ship out," said Lao Tzu.

"Get up on the cross of existence," said Jesus.

"Rise and shine," said Lao Tzu.

"It's your turn up to bat," said Jesus.

I sighed and stood up.

"What's the matter?" I asked.

"You are!" They laughed uproariously.

"We don't matter anymore. It's your turn." said Lao Tzu.

I must have looked concerned.

Jesus said, " Don't worry. We are with you in spirit."

"Just remember one thing," said Lao Tzu.

"What's that?"

"Stand up straight! No leaning!"

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of the devotee who was about to enter the room of his worst fears. The trembling man begged his master to accompany him. The master said, "No, you must enter this room alone. But I can offer you one piece of advice: When you get inside the door, keep your feet moving." Steve

    ReplyDelete