Sunday, November 18, 2012

the taoist third degree

Look, and it can't be seen.
Listen, and it can't be heard.
Reach, and it can't be grasped.

Above, it isn't bright.
Below, it isn't dark.
Seamless, unnamable,
it returns to the realm of nothing.
Form that includes all forms,
image without an image,
subtle, beyond all conception.

Approach it and there is no beginning;
follow it and there is no end.
You can't know it, but you can be it,
at ease in your own life.
Just realize where you come from:
this is the essence of wisdom.
-- Stephen Mitchell, Chapter 14, Tao Te Ching

I was sitting quietly trying to find God.

Lao Tzu looked at me: "Show me your reputation."

"Don't mess with me," I said.

"You do have one, don't you?"

"I suppose."

He poked me in the ribs.

"Yes! Yes I do!"

"Where is it?"

"In the minds of others."

"Where are the minds of others?"

"All scattered, I guess." (Poke) "I don't know!"

He persisted: "Does your reputation exist?"

"Yes."

"Can you see it?"

"No, but I see its effects."

"Can you hear it?"

"No, but I hear talk about it."

"Can you hold it in your hand?"

"Of course not!"

"But it exists."

"Yes!"

Jesus walked up.

"What's the matter with him?" he asked Lao Tzu.

"He's trying to find God," said Lao Tzu.

"Oh my," said Jesus.

"And he can't refute his repute." said Lao Tzu.

"Tell me about it," said Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. "Show me your reputation"....I needed to hear those words. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful words and a truly enjoyable discourse following.

    ReplyDelete