Friday, November 2, 2012

the dissolving of my fragmented mind

When all under heaven know beauty as beauty,
There is then ugliness;
When all know the good good,
There is then the not good.
-- Ellen Chen, Verse 1, Chapter 2, Tao Te Ching

Lao Tzu smiled. He could see the consternation in my heart.

 "But Lao Tzu, you are saying that I am calling ugliness and that which is not good into the world! I cannot accept that!"

He burst out laughing. "You are now calling what you can accept and what you can't accept into the world. In doing so, you are a living example of what I am saying."

I looked at Jesus for some help.

"Don't look at me!" said Jesus. "All humans are judgmental, dividing the world into this and that. This you love and cherish. That you fear and disdain. You love and cherish everything that you perceive as in favor of your sweet ass. Some of you love me to save your ass. And some of you won't love me to save your ass!"

Lao Tzu and I burst out laughing and Jesus joined in. Our laughter dissolved my fragmented mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment